Saturday, June 24, 2006

Day 3: 13 songs that changed Rod's life

Day 3 and we take a swift turn back to the eighties, as the voice - Mr Ronaldo Joyce - brings us back to the future.

"Before I begin my 13 songs that changed my life I need to say that I'm not really a lyrical man but I am drummer who is a frustrated guitar player. I am finding it hard to narrow in on one song by a particular band as I tended to love a band and all their songs not just any one particular song. Anyway enough procrastination.

In no particular order:

1. Rosanna - Toto. What a band. Geoff Pokaro was one of the best drummers that lived. RIP Geoff. [scarily these guys are still going and have a new album out!!! - urbanstone]

2. Hosanna (in the highest) - Some gooba. I sang this song in church when I was younger and it made me realise that church hymns and music can really suck. Great lyrics but really bad music. It reminds me that the church organ has to go…..Budgee this one is for you…...

3. No Lies - Noiseworks. Jon Stevens, you are a legend. What a voice! What a classic!

4. You Give Love A Bad Name - Bon Jovi. Who could forget one of the best New Years Eve's I have ever had. The music was loud, everyone was pumped and we were yelling this song at our mate Captain Smollett. This song is dedicated to you.

5. Good Times - Jimmy Barnes. Mary, Mary you are on mind….dur..nur..nur. Who is Mary? who cares? This song Rocks. Especially after a big night and it gets played full bore at 7:30 the next morning……thanks Gart!

6. Runaway - Del Shannon. 60's classic. Reminds me of the old band days. I was 16 playing 4 nights a week at the Maroubra Seals Club and this song had a great drum beat and the patrons would get up and dance and then fall over, after drinking to much piss.

7. Electric Blue - Icehouse. Who is Iva Davies? This song was number one for weeks on Barry Bisol's take 40 Australia and me and my little sister would wait with anticipation at the news that Electric Blue was still number one. Thanks Bazza for some great memories.

8. Star Wars/Jurassic Park theme - John Williams. Yes classical piece's in my 13 songs! In some way these are the themes of my life. I couldn't pick one over the other. Star Wars is me and Jurassic Park is just a wonderful piece describing life……listen to it, it's not what you think.

9. Last of the runaways - Giant. 80's glam rock played in the 90's. Love your work Dan Huff…..What a guitar player! Not much lyrics but all guitar.

10. Surfing with the Alien - Joe Satriani. This guy could well be the best guitar player we have ever seen. I was in awe of him for the best part of the late 80's. Go Rossy………..

11. Fields Of Gold - Sting. Sting has to get in here somewhere. The guy is a legend and this is one of the most beautiful songs I have ever heard. Hence why I played it at my wedding….

12. Tuxedo Junction - Same Old Story. Have you heard of this band? Probably not. My first real jazz band. This song for me holds great memories as I got to trash the song in the form of a drum solo. How awesome was Sancha's voice….Love your work!

13. Angry Young man - Billy Joel. I was into this guy for ages and this song was one of those songs that had about 6 times changes and his drummer Liberty Devito was something else. This was the opening song at the concert Billy did in Russia when he used his hands on the piano like no one else has. Awesome Rhythms!

Well there you go but I have to give an honourable mention to Bryan Adams for Heaven and Run to You. They were classics as are you Bryan. (These songs also remind me of one very special women. My highschool sweetheart. Pity she had to go back to South Africa. Great memories). Gee I feel like a dag after doing this. Love your work Jono and bring on the 13 movies that changed your life.

Batman Rocks"

9 comments:

Ray said...

These lists are proving very interesting and insightful. At the time of writing this I'm half way through my list...

Andrew said...

i love the way every song on each list is the beginning of a story - either one remembered or one I'm intrigued by. Much grist for future conversations!

Rossy said...

I am still p!ssing myself laughing at this list, and the photo is a winner! Don't ever change, Rod. You're a champ. (And it's good to see foreigner didn't make it on your list!)

Ray said...

The photo is a huge winner. Jono do you want an abbreviated list of my 13 for your site?

Andrew said...

And that New Years Eve finally won me over to Bon Jovi - I can still remember the bewildered look on Capt Smollett's face! "Shock to the heart and you're to blame smollet.."

Anonymous said...

Thanks for comments dudes. I can tell you this was insightful for me aswell. I didn't realise I was such a dag, although many have commented before this. How did you get that photo Jono? Urban Stone has amazing ways of not deleteing material when they are supposed to. Nice links too mate......what's with the giant link, you boofhead!
Rossy do you remember that New Years with Smollett was the same one where you won the title....remember what title?

Joycie

Rossy said...

enlighten me, Rod.
I cannot remember.

Anonymous said...

Look what happens when i disappear off the radar for a couple of weeks, Everyone goes to town on the smollett! I may have been known to give love a bad name, but at least it wasn't a certain smell that cleared Batman's bedroom Rossy! Ahh the memories linger... this 13 songs thingo seems pretty cool jono, don't know how it started I'm still digging thru the archives, but 'batman rocks to Giant' doesn't surprise me at all. He subjected Gary and I to it on our central Australia trip (amongst other things) and had to stop the car and plead with gary not to snap the CD.... Gary has always been into community service...

Anonymous said...

Gary doesn't snap CD's he just breaks beds.......

Go Giant, up there with Chisel if I'm right!

Love your work Smollett, you are our Superhero in some certian form or another?????