Thursday, June 22, 2006

Day 1: 13 songs that changed Rossy's life


Beer brewer extraordinaire Rossy (pictured right, you guess which one) has taken up the "13 songs that changed my life challenge". Congrats to you Rossy as first cab off the urbanstone rank. So without further ado, I give you, Rossy's 13 songs....

13 songs that changed my life
Note the title doesn’t say they have to be great songs.

In no apparent order:
1. Come on Aileen - Dexy's Midnight Runners
My dad had this on his long-driving-trip tape. First song I can remember ever hating so much I wanted to die.

2. Johnny B Goode - Chuck Berry
First song I learnt to play on guitar, written on upside down guitar tablature. (thank you very much, Ross!)

3. Bron-yr-stomp - Led Zeppelin
First GREAT song I ever attempted on guitar.

4. Straight Hate – Sepultura
I’m sure there are other metal bands out there I listened to before this, but this goes down as my favourite! Dark, hateful, a killer riff... its’ what metal is all about!

5. Truth – Clone. No you’ll never hear this one on the radio. The first song i ever composed which my shithouse band actually played, and sounded good, dare I say.

6. Saltwater – Chicane. Not a bad dance track, but listening to it while driving through the Scottish Highlands in the rain makes it a memory never to forget.

7. Utah Saints – Utah Saints. Saw these guys at the ’00 Glastonbury Festival. What an experience.

8. About a Girl – Nirvana. Both acoustic and electric versions of this song are brilliant pop/grunge songs.

9. Sister Awake – The Tea Party. Jeff Martin’s a bit of a tool, but Geez he plays well.

10. Aenema – Tool. One of the darkest bands around, Tool have always inspired me to pick up my guitar, tune down, turn up and have fun. This would have to be my favourite

11. Forty Six And Two – Tool... yes this is my second favourite.

12. The Sweetest Thing – U2. These guys will make it onto everyone else’s list, so I’ll join the crowd. I was actually starting to think U2 were okay, if not extremely over-hyped, then this song came out. This song sucks sooooo much, and it lowered my opinion of this band forever

13. Du hast – Rammstein. My list wouldn’t be complete without this little gem from the Fatherland.
Ya, ist Gut!

4 comments:

Andrew said...

an interesting progression there rossy, it starts out with such toe-tappin goodness and ends up in the rammstein/tool darkness department. Would make a helluva mixed tape...

ok, who's next?

Anonymous said...

I'm up for it! Like your friend, Rossy, I want to make a disclaimer that the challenge wasn’t that they had to be great songs. Nic.

1. Tracy Chapman – Fast Car. I will always, always love Tracy. She’s my first real music love (other than the Sweet & Sour band of course which leads me to…)

2. Sweet & Sour – Sweet & Sour. When people remember this (fabulous ‘80s ABC) show, about a garage band they always have fond memories and I always feel like there’s a special bond created between us. And I thought Tracy Mann was THE best actress eva, even if it was Deborah Conway who was really singing!

3. Joe Satriani – Always with me, Always with you. A boy played this for me at the old Brashs in Pitt St after he held my hand while we were watching ‘Cocktail’ at the George St Cinemas. It was my first ‘butterflies in the stomach’ experience. I’ve had a thing for guitar players ever since.

4. Jimmy Barnes – Walk on. Ah…Jimmy. I really am a bogan from Berowra. I used to play this track on Barnestorming over and over again..

5. INXS – Don’t Change. I could have picked any INXS song and it was a close run between this one and Johnson’s Aeroplane. These 2 remain INXS songs I love.

6. Soft Cell – Tainted Love. An ex made a romantic gesture with this song. Maybe I should have realised that someone making a romantic gesture with a song that pretty much says “I don’t like you so I’m packing my bags” was not really someone I wanted to be with??

7. Jeff Buckley – Last Goodbye. Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

8. Tori Amos – Cornflake Girl. This song began my journey into music that wasn’t all about the mainstream/top 40 type stuff (even though it was a mainstream song)

9. PJ Harvey – This mess we’re in. A more recent one for me and was significant for me late 2005. Polly Jean, what can I say? I think I love you.

10. k.d. Lang – Hallelujah. It’s so hard to choose between k.d’s cover and Jeff Buckley’s but I think k.d. wins by a nose because I heard her sing it live at the Opera House last year and it was incredible! And a fab night out with my Dad.

11. Neil Diamond – Crunchy Granola Suite. I thought my Dad was a musical dork until he played Hot August Night for us.

12. The Sundays – homeward. I had to choose something of this album (static & silence) because it is in my top 3 albums. This album kept me company when I first moved to Dubbo.

13. Eve Gibson – Look at the Lines. Eve – so cute, so talented. A chick to watch. Somewhere between Beth Orton and Sarah Blasko.

Anonymous said...

Rossy,

I just love your list. Cracks me up heaps mate because I can remember the music when it was at it's peak. Who could forget Clone (or Clont at one stage wasn't it) when they perfomred at the Jolly Frog at Windsor for the band comp. Great day's. I must say you were my inspiration for actually listening to Rammstein and singing it in my head when I travelled Germany.
Love your work Rossy, a true music professor (our very own Molly).

Joycie.

Rossy said...

I wish I could elaborate more on some of these, but oh well.

one forgotten Gem, which should be in place of No.1,
Siamese Dream - Smashing Pumpkins. This Purely brilliant cd was in my stereo for at least 6 months.

Thankyou Billy Corgan, this is the point in my life where I dropped my E string to a D, and tried my hardest to improve those sad 70's church songs (you know, from the Scripture in Song books).

So do yourself a favour, Rod...