Friday, June 23, 2006

Day 2: 13 songs that changed Nicole's life

And second batter up to the plate - Nicole Fleming, on the eve of her first AFL game (pies v swans no less), takes a swing at the 13 songs that changed her life....

"I'm up for it! Like your friend, Rossy, I want to make a disclaimer that the challenge wasn’t that they had to be great songs. Nic.

1. Tracy Chapman – Fast Car. I will always, always love Tracy. She’s my first real music love (other than the Sweet & Sour band of course which leads me to…)

2. Sweet & Sour – Sweet & Sour. When people remember this (fabulous ‘80s ABC) show, about a garage band they always have fond memories and I always feel like there’s a special bond created between us. And I thought Tracy Mann was THE best actress eva, even if it was Deborah Conway who was really singing! [I remember, I remember, and yes Nic, I'll leave the album to you in my will - urbanstone]

3. Joe Satriani – Always with me, Always with you. A boy played this for me at the old Brashs in Pitt St after he held my hand while we were watching ‘Cocktail’ at the George St Cinemas. It was my first ‘butterflies in the stomach’ experience. I’ve had a thing for guitar players ever since.

4. Jimmy Barnes – Walk on. Ah…Jimmy. I really am a bogan from Berowra. I used to play this track on Barnestorming over and over again..

5. INXS – Don’t Change. I could have picked any INXS song and it was a close run between this one and Johnson’s Aeroplane. These 2 remain INXS songs I love.

6. Soft Cell – Tainted Love. An ex made a romantic gesture with this song. Maybe I should have realised that someone making a romantic gesture with a song that pretty much says “I don’t like you so I’m packing my bags” was not really someone I wanted to be with??

7. Jeff Buckley – Last Goodbye. Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

8. Tori Amos – Cornflake Girl. This song began my journey into music that wasn’t all about the mainstream/top 40 type stuff (even though it was a mainstream song)

9. PJ Harvey – This mess we’re in. A more recent one for me and was significant for me late 2005. Polly Jean, what can I say? I think I love you.

10. k.d. Lang – Hallelujah. It’s so hard to choose between k.d’s cover and Jeff Buckley’s but I think k.d. wins by a nose because I heard her sing it live at the Opera House last year and it was incredible! And a fab night out with my Dad.

11. Neil Diamond – Crunchy Granola Suite. I thought my Dad was a musical dork until he played Hot August Night for us.

12. The Sundays – homeward. I had to choose something of this album (static & silence) because it is in my top 3 albums. This album kept me company when I first moved to Dubbo.

13. Eve Gibson – Look at the Lines. Eve – so cute, so talented. A chick to watch. Somewhere between Beth Orton and Sarah Blasko."

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

of course...

i used to own barnstorming live in a 2 lp set...

wonder if i still do...

Andrew said...

I think that counts as accepting the musical challenge Darren - we await your 13 songs! Wouldn't havee picked you as a Jimmy Barnes boy myself.

Then again, Nic surprised me with that one too. Ah the skeletons are emerging from their closets.

Darren Wright said...

lol

dude, i grew up in elizabeth, barnsey's home town...

even used to wander round in a red flannie and blue jeans

and dont ever get me up for karaeoke singing barnsey... its a little too frightening :)

Andrew said...

So Nic, does your top 13 songs now include Good Ol Collingwood Forever?

Anonymous said...

it seems that it indeed would be a song that has changed my life! Hot pies!! .-) a 'one eyed' smiley for you brother! Hope MJ went well

Anonymous said...

Nic,

Got to love your list. You were the inspiration to actually get me to do my own. Love Crunchy Granola...I wouldn't have picked you for a Neil Diamond fan but how good is he.
Great mix, love your work.

Joycie.