Monday, June 26, 2006

Day 4: 13 songs that changed Dave's life

blood of my blood, bootsy, my black and white brother unleashes his 13 songs. Only a slight change of tack from Ronaldo's memory trip - this list may befuddle some, reawaken memories for others, and you may find yourself either shaking your hips or screaming in angst. Just don't say you were not warned...

"NB: you asked for the songs that changed my life - not the greatest songs of all time... and in no particular order.

1. Dee-lite - Groove is in the heart. Bootsy Collins. One man, one bass, one helluva phunkin groove. Saved me from the dark depths of schlock rock.

2. Matt Tonks - Bone Dry. Driving across the red centre on our honeymoon listening to this track thinking, thank God for talented Orstrayan music. One day when I enter the lotto and win it I'll do a vid for that track against that background.

3. Scarymother - Who are you. My vote for #1 Oz act of all time. Some of Australia's finest musicians producing a wall of deep, dark rock.

4. Powderfinger - Parables for wooden ears. Before they became pop tarts. Don't get me wrong, they're still great - but this was a technically brilliant track - from a band who cared about the music and what it was saying. Still haven't figured out the time signature.

5. Nirvana - take your pick of D7 / Aneurysm / Even in his youth. Kurt's raw emotion truly exposed. I don't care if grunge passed you by, this is what music is here for - pure, unadulterated emotional outlet.

6. Foo Fighters - I'll stick around. Grohly, Grohly, Grohly. Yum, yum, yum. That's right - he does every instrument on the track and declares that *raw* musical emotion was not lost with Kurt.

7. 3 MC's & 1 DJ - Beastie Boys & Mixmaster Mike. To quote the track itself "Mixmaster Mike watcha got to say" "/God damn that DJ made my day/"

8. Speaking of strings - O'Fortuna by Carl Orff. Trust me, you know it. Musical dynamics at their best. It's on most big movie sound tracks.

9. Young Jase - I don't know if you'll let this count but when a then-up-and-coming Sydney DJ beat-mixed Tori Amos' "Professional Widow" with Earth Wind and Fire's "Boogie Wonderland" at Sublime - me and 500 other people went beserk. Funky uplifting house at its absolute finest

10. Linkin Park - From the inside. Adequately the captures the problem with trusting people and screams an angry, albeit incomplete resolution. Apply liberally when dealing with pricks who haven't dealt with some personal issue and use colleagues /the workplace as a battlefield for satisfying personal angst.

11. Filter = Hey Man, Nice Shot. A dark part of my life that I'd rather not revisit. But hey, you asked for the songs that changed my life.

12. Falling. Yes - music can teach you humility. Could I really like a song this much when it's sung by Kylie and written by the Pet Shop Boys?

13. Frank Sinatra - My Way. 'nuff sed.

*Unfortunate to miss out *- U2 "A little while" - a big home coming for me in so many ways / Pre-shrunk "sam pimp" - (two basses in one band and no guitars -oooooh, delicious) / Stone Temple Pilots (plush) / Anthony Callea - the little man got me back to playing music cause clearly there's got a be chance for me still in the music industry..."

7 comments:

Ray said...

Wow these lists are throwing up some leftfield (for me) choices. But that's what the exercise is about, personal opinion. I have finished mine by the way.

Andrew said...

send me the list buddy (abbreviated) and I'll we'll put you in the cue!

Andrew said...

Hmmm, a couple of surprises there Bootsy, didn't expect Linkin Park to get a guernsey. And Filter? well that is simply a million miles away (thank god).

Expected a different Foo-eys track.

And you left out one glaring omission - where's your Duran Duran "Wild Boys" track? Or should I just post the photo of you wearing the t-shirt?

Anonymous said...

Put the photo on. Put the photo on.....Bootsy in a Duran Duran shirt...he could be mistaken for Simon Le Bon.

bootsy said...

lies, scurrulous lies. As are rumours that I am willing to pay all requested bribes to keep any alleged photos from surfacing.

Anonymous said...

question - has anyone ever done 6 degrees of separation from Scarymother to Frank Sinatra in a swifter movement than through Bootsy's 13 songs? Not likely ever in the history of music.

Anonymous said...

I take that as very big compliment - particularly coming from the star of one of my favourite movies - yet somehow I gather you may have already known that...