Thursday, July 06, 2006

Day 8: 13 songs that changed Phil's life

As we ease into week 2 of the challenge I am pleased to offer the musical memories of our very own rock god - Phil Newton. As with all our entrants so far, some surprises await (Bobby Brown and Eddie Vedder on the same list - phew); let there be rock...

"Okay let's have a go!

1. Little People - Les Miserables
This song marks the first time I sang solo in public. It was a cub/scout talent night and spurred on by the heavy affirmation of my dad I busted out this ditty for my mates. I wonder if the scarring from that night is the reason I have been so resistant to my dad's song requests since then...?

2. Every Little Step - Bobby Brown
I can still sing the lyrics to this classic hit from my primary school days. Oh how I wanted that slopey flat top.

3. Kokomo - The Beach Boys
The first LP I ever owned I bought because I loved this song. Yes, I am just old enough to have owned an LP, and yes, it was the soundtrack to the film 'Cocktail'. My brothers and I would squabble over who got to 'air saxophone' the solo.

4. With a Little Help From My Friends - Joe Cocker
This song has much nostalgic significance largely, and I'm sure I'm not alone here, because every afternoon I would follow the exploits of Kevin, Paul and Winnie on 'The Wonder Years'. It was a toss up between this one, the theme from 'Cheers' or 'Suicide is Painless' from M.A.S.H..

5. Plush - Stone Temple Pilots
This song marks my entry in earnest to the world of music appreciation. My brother owned the album and I would play this song over and over mimicking Scott Weiland's voice. This also marks my conversion to all things 'alternate' and 'the Seattle invasion'.

6. Nothing Else Matters - Metallica
This was the first non-church song I ever learnt on guitar. I learnt it so well that I could fool people into thinking that I was a much better guitarist than I actually was. Little did they know that for the first couple of years this was the only song I could play.

7. Jeremy - Pearl Jam
Eddie Vedder was my first love and this song is symbolic of those care-free heady days. I was so obsessed with EV that I actually taught myself to write in his handwriting from the album sleeve of 'Ten'. To this day, my capital 'A's' still resemble EV's.

8. Drown - The Smashing Pumpkins
Both this song and the Chris Cornell song are from the 'Singles' soundtrack, a cultural cult film for the Seattle devotee. This marks my introduction to the Pumpkins and my world would never be the same. As a guitarist, Billy Corgan just does it for me, something about the wall of sound, intricate, multi layered, orchestral guitar parts, overlayed with screaming solos - call me weird. It also was the first real example I had encountered of light/dark song writing. Billy has an amazing ability to meld pop sweetness with ball-crunching rock. So cool!

9. Throw Your Arms Around Me - Eddie Vedder
My love affair with EV aside, this song was made significant by an experience. Imagine if you will, standing in the mosh pit at Eastern Creek Raceway for five hours having endured two underwhelming support bands when all of a sudden a strange fellow donning a guitar appears at the microphone. Whispers fly through the crowd, "is that Eddie?" Removing his wig, EV performs a salutary rendition of the iconic 'Throw Your Arms'. I will never forget the elation I felt. Here was my hero in the flesh for the first time, only a few metres away, and singing an Aussie song for us. I felt so privileged to be witnessing that moment. That concert remains the greatest live show I have ever seen and I would wager that a large part of that is Eddie's personal touch.

10. Seasons - Chris Cornell
I performed this song for my HSC and it is in the list because it is the first song of someone else's that I feel I was able to make my own as a performer. It doesn't always work, but sometimes a song resonates deeply enough that when you sing it it feels like you wrote it.

11. Paranoid Android - Radiohead
What can I say, music as I knew it changed. Rock, but not rock. Pop, but not pop. Indie, but not indie. I remember thinking, "this is the coolest song I've ever heard, how the hell does someone come up with music like this?"

12. Blue Moon Rising - Gomez
This song marks for me a meshing of the songs of my childhood and a contemporary song writing ethic. The rootsy, bluesy earnestness is married to funky beatsy rock sensibility. And the harmonies... I though it was Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young for a new generation.

13. What Happens When the Heart Just Stops - The Frames
Lastly, all I can say is that I still get a lump in my throat listening to this song. Something about a broken man singing about his brokenness that touches a deep and brooding part of who I am. So tender, so divine.

Enjoy,

Phil"

No comments: