Sunday, July 30, 2006

Day 14: 13 Songs that changed Sarah's life

Welcome to Day 14 of our musical feast - and your musical chef for today is Sarah Williamson - another eclectic set, a hint of a million stories (note Darren, a hint!) and the sign of true appreciator of music - Metallica and Lamb in the same list. Stunning.

"1. Fallen – Sarah McLachlan. This song saw many tears and brought much healing. “Heaven bend to take my hand and lead me through the fire. "Be the long awaited answer to a long and painful fight” mmm mmmm Sarah McLachlan is first and foremost, spot on. As always.

2. Heaven- Live
Truly a beautiful song from a very pure place. “I don’t need no proof when it comes to God and truth…I can see the sunset”.

3. Gorecki – Lamb
Haunting. Moving. Or maybe it’s the feeling from the movie. Go see the Aussie movie “Amy” and you can decide. There’s something quite indescribable about this. The song stayed with me though.

4. Nothing else matters- Metallica.
Who knew. I ended up at a Metallica concert in those younger days and I tell you, this song live was a spiritual experience. I liked it before, but I loved it then. And I’ve never forgotten genius.

5. Hyperballad – Big Heavy Stuff (Has to be “Like a Version”, not a Bjork fan sorry)
God, I love Greg’s voice in this. A strange violent yet not violent song. Something about being on the edge and disconnectedness, wondering what it would be like to literally fall off a cliff. Wondering about what we do to be safe with each other.

6. Flame trees - Sarah Blasko
Brought an old Cold Chisel song to life and spoke to the existence of isolation, country living, nature, longing. Never paid attention to it until Sarah – but damn, it’s good.

7. A 4th world – Xavier Rudd.
If you don’t know this song go and find it and read the lyrics! Xavier, the prophet. As skilled musically as much as prophetic for this nation. Solace really hit me personally in some interesting ways, but A 4th world is unbeatable.

8. Breathe In Now – George
A deeply peaceful perspective –relationships, life, pain, choices. “So this moment I just have to sing aloud to say I like, I love and breathe in now”. Something about keeping hope alive really.

9. Special Ones – George
An amazing tale of the decision not to take any crap, with magnificent poetic eloquence. Ahh, it’s just alllll good.

10. Elephant Love Medley – Ewan and Nicole
To some distress I’ve just ousted Something for Kate (must be number 14), for Ewan and Nicole. But seriously, in terms of being a part of life changing moments, this is it. Sorry for what I’m about to reveal, Dave, but we used to sing ourselves to sleep to this, giggling away. Or sing ridiculously loud driving along in the car. It’s cute and funny from a weird but powerfully sad movie/musical…Moulin Rouge.

11. The Lament – Tanya Sparks from “Darkwood Road”
No words, just music. One of the most moving things I have ever listened to. Used this for Good Friday and the whole place was in tears. It’s profound and doesn’t need words.

12. See the sun – Dido.
For those whom I’ve done this for and for those who have done it for me. Dido…just…gets…it.

In memory of ye olde days -
13. Destination Anywhere- The Commitments. Dedicated to Heidi Pick and our Clare High days. Dedicated to that stupid movie which we loved, the unknown we longed for and that annoying air cond that was never cold enough.

Are honourable mentions legit now? I’ll give due cred to the 60s rock box we grew up listening to which made me think the world was fairy floss, the Cranberries who suitably depressed me, Roxette who took up my piano playing hours, Robbie Williams who has no explanation, U2 & Guns N’ Roses who strangely were a part of something big."

11 comments:

Andrew said...

I really hope that there's a good story behind GNR being on the list - because otherwise its a very disturbing presence on an otherwise fine list:P

Ray said...

This musical challenge thing was a monster, but how interesting. Doesn't make my eclectic list look that bad, really, does it?

Rah said...

Yeah - some things just have no explanation. I'm ashamed of GNR presence for political and social justice reasons really - but hey. I've got some funny pics of boarding house days, cleaning teeth & wearing GNR t-shirts! Now there's an image :)

Anonymous said...

hint...

pfft...

not in my vocab unfortunately...

interesting list

the only GnR cd i own was due to stealing it from someone who couldnt pay for fuel from back in the petrolling days...

Andrew said...

I remember being at school when GNR became popular. All these people came up to me, knowing that I was a huge Led Zeppelin freak (possible hint for my 13?) saying I'd really dig these guys, "cause they were so Zeppelin". Couldn't be further from the truth - and (un)fortunately made me skeptical of GNR ever since. May well have also been my aversion to grown men in bike shorts :(

Anonymous said...

come on... who doesn't turn the radio up in the car and sing loudly when they hear sweet child of mine???? Nic.

Andrew said...

me! me! me! Can't stand the damn thing. Gimme some Wham however! wake me up before you go go?

I think there's something in that for all of us

Anonymous said...

i used to enjoy "i used to love her but i had to kill her"

Anonymous said...

Slash did a little somethin for me (I think it was the leather pants) xx sierra

Rossy said...

Ah the Gunners!

Spent many weekends listening to GnFnR's belting out of the old tape deck, while helping a mate hot up his cars.

We'd all stop working to sing "So Easy"...
"I see you standin there,
YOu think you're soo cool
Why don't you just
F... OFF!"

Air guitar is so much more fun (and dangerous) when you're holding some type of powertool!

Anonymous said...

You're missing the real issue here... why does Jono have a thing against bike shorts? I mean, I guess there is a fairly obvious answer, but is this like the bicep thing?