Friday, July 14, 2006

Day 11: 13 Songs that changed Stevie's life


Day 11 is dedicated to the playboy from Parkes, Master Stevie Schubert; a ladies man of passion, music and a deadly left foot punt. He life is dedicated to the memory of Jeff Buckley, and becoming the new inner sydney Bohemian man. Sydney Uni has not been the same since his arrival...

"My 13 most influential songs, those that have shaped me throughout my wanderings and wonderings. In no particular order...

1 - Let It Be, The Beatles. I must agree with comrade Smith, this is simply beautiful. It could be argued that the song is a bit pop-esque, but I find a surreal hope in the lyrics and a tranquility in this song.

2 - River Runs Red, Midnight Oil. If you haven't seen this song on the 20,000 Watts RSL DVD, go watch it NOW! I got into the Oils because I realised that here was a band that actually believed in what they were singing. But this song, sung in front of the Exon headquarters after the Alaska oil spill, takes it to new and exciting levels. There's a passion, an anger and a sadness in the performance. Brilliant.

3 - I Shall Be Released, Jeff Buckley from "Live at Sin-e." Buckley singing a Bob Dylan song, how can it get any better? Seriously? This is one of the best live performances I have of the late great man himself. Classic Dylan lyrics in an absolutely stunning performance.

4 - Silver, Nighthour from "Current Works Volume II." This was what Josh Pyke called himself before he was Josh Pyke. The first time I heard this song I was driving around in my beast of a '92 Hyundi Excel when it came on jjj. I got to where I was going half way through the song, and had to wait until it was finished, there was no way I could turn the radio off.

5 - With or Without You, U2. My first kiss was to this song, from the Best of U2, 1980-90. Surely one of the best songs to have a first kiss to? 'Twas my year 8 days with Michelle Hourigan in my living room in Parkes. So maybe this entry isn't entirley because of the music, but that wasn't the question.

6 - Last Goodbye, Jeff Buckley. First heard this song when Michelle dumped me... have listened to it for every subsequent dumping ever since. There's not much more to say about this song.

7 - How Great Though Art, Philip Watson. My favourite hymn when it was hammered out on the pipe organ at ole' Parkes Uniting. My siblings and I would have competitions to see who could sing the loudest. Oddly enough, I don't really agree with the theology of this song, but it's significant to me.

8 - Climb Ev'ry Mountatin, Peggy Wood from "The Sound of Music." Okay, an odd entry I admit. But this song is absolutely brilliant, especially when the last high note is absolutely nailed, sends a shiver up my spine every time.

9 - Poems In the Sand, Mike McCarthy from "Fire Flood Freedom." Finally a Blackstump musician where "Jesus" isn't every second word! Mike is a bloody good guitarist, and a good song writer. He also drinks Tooheys Old, which is a measure of personality in my book. Again, this song kind of offers and unrealistic hope for humanity, is this a developing theme in my list?

10 - Bad Habbits, Billy Field. My Dad would put this on, it was the first track of a LP he had, I can't remember what it was called. As a kid, just a great song to dance around like an idiot to. In fact, still a great song to dance around like an idiot to.

11- Little Wing, Jimi Hendrix. Oh so good. Absolutely brilliant guitar, especially in the intro. I'm not sure what the lyrics are about, but this songs is perfect. Very important as a young guitarist to listen to as much Hendrix as possible.

12 - Vincent, Don McLean. This song is extremely special and beautiful. I played it for my yr 12 music performance and it almost lost "it" because i played it so often. But for me it expresses reactions to suicide in a unique and special way. I cried the day the record with this song on it developed a scratch in the middle of this song, tragedy.

13 - Fall At Your Feet, Crowded House from "Woodface." I must agree with Hanksy that Neil Finn is one of the best musicians I've ever seen. Perhaps I identify with the lyrics too much? I don't know, but this is an important song for my list."

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

What is that photo? Defamation!!!!!

Andrew said...

I thought it captured your essential nature beautifully ;P But if you'd care to offer some alternatives?

Anonymous said...

just go down to your local newsagent and get some of those special sealed magazines... I could give you one of me at the big banana (it's not that big you know... and there are some things where size really does count!)