Saturday, July 01, 2006

Day 5: 13 songs that changed Diamond Ray's life

We return to the musical challenge with NSW's top racing tipster - Diamond Ray Hickson. A man of varied and often unpredictable tastes, my only surprise is that he hasn't found a Jude Law recording anywhere? None the less, his top 13 are as follows;

"I'll Be There For You - The Rembrandts (Theme to the best show in the universe, Friends if it wasn't obvious, and a compulsory choice. Love every word and every minute of the show).

If You Could Only See - Tonic (Reminds me of a time involving a lot of change and new ideas and surrounding my first job. Aside from that it's a great soft rock song)

I Want To Know What Love Is - Foreigner (Bring on the schmaltz. I recorded this song one day and the tape has conveniently gone missing. Simply, it's a classic)

Losing My Religion - R.E.M. (I'm not sure I really understand this song but it knocks me out whenever I hear it).

Hero - Mariah Carey (Flashback to 1998, Syd Ent Cent and I'm standing with about 10,000 other people with the hand on the heart and a tear in the eye. Mariah's signature song and close to mine)

Crash And Burn - Savage Garden (This song would be my anthem. Communication is one of the most important thing in life, and we're all bad at it. The key is to know when to speak up)

Great Southern Land - Icehouse (I'd love it if this song was our national anthem, you can just feel Australia in the words and the sound. The 20 minute orchestral version is unforgettable).

Lift - Shannon Noll (In the sceme of things this isn't a great song but it came along for me when I really needed a lift)

What About Me? - Moving Pictures (I was 8 when this song came out and I always remembered feeling a bit like the little boy standing at the counter of a corner shop. Still it's an Aussie classic).

The Other Side - 1927 (One from the high school days. A friend told me that this song reminds him of an old girlfriend beginning a significant phase of my life)

Everything - Lifehouse (This is ultimate praise to God. A moody, deceptive six minutes of music of the greatest songs I've ever heard. I can listen again and again._

Walk On - U2 (It was a matter of which U2 song and in the end it was always going to be Walk On, for reasons too big to explan in one sentence).

Not Myself - John Mayer (The master of the bittersweet and a must for someone as moody as yours truly).

In the end I couldn't come up with any songs that I hated enough to go among those that I love. But for the record they would include: Groove Is In The Heart- Dee-Lite (sorry to those who like it - why?[see bootsy for explanation]), Push The Little Daisies-Ween (again - why?) and Khe Sahn-Cold Chisel (simply over it and it's not that great a song anyway). "
[Urbanstone editorial note - it has been our practice to provide links to the aforementioned bands for your personal musical edification. However upon trying to link to Foreigner, Savage Garden and Mariah Carey within the same 20 minutes, my computer security system kept shutting me out as an invalid user for some reason?]

3 comments:

Ray said...

Man, what a shocking picture. Surely you have something better!

Andrew said...

Surprisingly no?! Have to check the back catalogue of course, but from the last year - that's it. (Have you been hiding from the camera again Diamond?)

And I'm still waiting for that nod to Metallica you've been promising. C'mon, you owe it to yourself after naming Foreigner in your list...

Ray said...

Perhaps I'll consider Metallica later. I'm currently working through some Superman stuff.