Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Day 13: 13 Songs that changed Dave's life

Day 13 and urbanstone is gratified to welcome the Wollongong Wonder - Dave Williamson. A man with fine, fine taste in whiskey, a prodigious cricketing talent and all round sports-billy, and yet even finds time to be a uni chaplain and liturgical experimentalist? What else will his musical history reveal...

"Hmmm difficult to do, what’s missing is, and I feel I need to name this as a confession and to place me a little, is John Farnham and Ice House, my first 2 LP’s

1. Mr Wendell – Arrested Development. A song that taught me something about humanity in a way I could understand it in early high school. Still love it, but I suppose it sums up my life with recorded music – I have never owned it!

2. I Believe - Blessed Union of Souls – Year 12, and then I find out my wife to be loves it! Really spoke of my idealistic world view and faith at the time. Still rings true to some extent.

3. Grace – U2 I’ll let this song speak for itself – I don’t think I could ever get sick of it, and it keeps speaking to me.

4. You are the Source – Grace. The much needed finding of faith music that replaced the hillsong stuff I quickly out grew and found insufficient to nurture my faith.

5. Praise Him – Fat Boy Slim.. symbolizes all those times I’ve tried to contextualize ministry and worship (esp with youth).

6. Worlds Apart – Jars of Clay. The best and most significant of my ‘Christian music’ past.

7. The Koran, the Ghan and the Yarn – David Bridie. The point in my life when I realized there were ‘many’ Australia’s – some of it ‘more’ Australian than me really. Yet I was born into the dominant expression of national identity… this songs tells the story of a different Australia…

8. That song that Phil Newton played at SOD last week… (Phil, please fill in the gaps) Damn! – a real expression of masculine community & spirituality that speaks of Sth African prisoners singing their brother’s soul home as he was led away to be executed.

9. You are Holy You are Whole – a real hymn…

10. Peaches and Cream – John Butler… totally and utterly pulled at my Paternal heartstrings. As soon as I heard that song I needed to be a dad. Also sums up my time in Northern NSW, and perhaps should include Solace by Xavier Rudd, which would surely make this list on another day.

11. Season’s of Love – Rent the Musical. Represents many songs from the musical that showed me the sacred in the profane that’s never really left me… as Tom Beaudoin shares it was a holy experience seeing that musical…

12. Bridge Over Troubled Water & Mrs Robinson Simon & Garfunkel… sums up my childhood listening to mum and dad’s favourites. I think S & G will always have a place in my heart – as will the term “Best of British Pop”

13.Better Be Home Soon… it’s the song that made me think I could sing ok, whilst making me realise I can only sing ok… Etched into me forever I spose."

2 comments:

Andrew said...

dunno what the title of the song that Phil sang was - but it has certainly been playing in my head all week too.

Courage Brother!

Anonymous said...

The song is called: Singing the spirit home. It's by Eric Bogle; a great writer of Australiana songs with insights into our culture that only and immigrant can have.
I don't know if this is too late to post or what not...But I hope it helps.
God bless! (Numbers 6:24-26)