Friday, May 12, 2006

Remembering Spike

When the absurdities of life seem to pile up around me, I am always drawn back to Spike Milligan. His War Diaries should be compulsory reading for anyone studying WWII, his Goon Shows hold a legendary status unto themselves, and his poetry is completely absurd. His depression and melancholy were almost too much for him to contain at times - he had a number of extended visits to various Mental Illness Hospitals.

Spike....
"Education isn't everything, for a start it isn't an elephant"

"I spent many years laughing at Harry Secombe's singing until somebody told me that it wasn't a joke."

"I thought I'd begin by reading a poem by Shakespeare, but then I thought, why should I? He never reads any of mine."

Truth
Seek truth they said
All I find
The seed is lost
The ploughman -
Blind

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

very helpful - i'm thinking of visiting a mental institute. "The boy stood on the burning deck, whence all but he had fled. twit" so true...

Anonymous said...

anonymous me
anonymous you
this poem could be good
but no one will ever know i wrote it, just someone anonymous.
aah whatever,
admit me now.

Anonymous said...

>"Stick 'em up"
<"you can't shoot me with that!, that's a banana!"
>(BANG!!)
<(groans) you swine, it was loaded!!"

(loosely remembered from the goon show and often quoted on the 165 to epping)