Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Films

For those of you who saw Mission Impossible III (I didn't), you may want to check out a friend of mine's blog. Darren over at Planet Telex is a bit of a pop culture vulture and regularly trawls through films, music and whatever else takes his fancy. So if you've got an opinion (which I think it's fair to say we've established that most of you do) drop over to Planet Telex and let rip on MI3.

For those of you with a slightly more alternative taste, I can't recommend Water highly enough. Directed by Deepa Mehta, water is a controversial film about the role and identity of widows in India. Now my caveat here is that it is set in the 1930's as Gandhi starts his independence movement, and things most likely have moved along way since then; so as always I'd urge caution in judging India or Hindu faith from this story without more research. Aside from the subject matter though, this is the most visually beautiful film since Three Colours Blue; it is up there with Brokeback Mountain for intensity; and two of the major actors, Lisa Ray and Sarala, are phenomenal. It is a slower paced film, not Bolly- or Holly-wood, but an incredible painting on identity, boundary and power.
4.5 stars

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great movie indeed.
I'm hanging out for the sequel "Lolly Water : The Tart Fuel Floweth"

Anonymous said...

Sounds Crap......

Anonymous said...

I have to agree with the last post. The fact you have mentioned Brokeback Mountain and Three Colours Blue suggests that this movie has the potential to be very boring. But other than that the movie could be really good. I like the subject matter.

Anonymous said...

BATMAN ROCKS... where's india? Somewhere near Austria? do they have kangaroos?

Anonymous said...

Hey,

Someone is assuming my identity. I am Batman Rocks.... Who are you my betrayer?????
Liliana I love your work and you are Batgirl.....

BATMAN ROCKS
(the real one)

Anonymous said...

No I am Batman Rocks......

Anonymous said...

No but it is I who is Batman Rocks.....

Andrew said...

ah, you guys are my own little world of madness. Who is going to write the reviews for MI3 and DaVince Code? Send them to me, and we'll add to the urbanstone madness!

Rossy said...

So is anyone keen for that new B-grade flick Slither?