Saturday, September 17, 2005

Day One of Cricketing Comeback

After much nerves (and even some lost sleep) Day One of my cricketing comeback is complete! No broken cheekbones ala 1996. And only mild damage to the pride.

St Matthews Baulkham Hills C-grade is the mighty team that I'm playing with. Day One saw Captain Dave throw me the ball to open the bowling (something about being 6'3''). A bit of mixed bag - 1-30 off 7 overs. Highlights included bowling 4 wides three times (line and length all the way...) and then a tight spell in the middle couple of overs that saw me get 1-14 off 5 overs - thanks to a nice catch in the covers by Phil! We bowled them out for 138 (?), and still had 20 odd overs in the days play. We got sent in and lost one of our openers in the first few overs. I think it must have been test-out-the-new-boy day, because I then got sent in as first drop?! (have never batted there in my life?) Happy to say that we finished the day at 1-47, with me on 28 not out.

A bit of fun, a good test of the nerves and a fun group of people to hangout with. The only cloud on the horizon is that I'll be batting next week when the AFL Grand Final is on! First one I'll have missed since Adelaide beat StKilda in 1997. Ah the price of glory...

No comments: