Saturday, October 15, 2005

James Brown, The Gospel of Thomas and a short film festival


Lots of fun last night at the Manning Bar listening to Lyrical Madmen (think lite-punk with a big brass section and a rolling mosh pit), and the appropriately named Johnson - who blew me away. A big funky, soul explosion, like James Brown on speed (which come to think of it he was probably most of the time). Great crowd workers with a big theatrical sense of bringing the crowd in and "movin' it, doin' it" as the Godfather would say.

Now I'm looking forward to the International Short Film and Food Festival down at Sydney Olympic Park in a few weeks (Oct 28-30). If I can drag myself away from the truckload of essays and assignments for a break, this looks like a place to escape for a while.

Hopefully it will make a pleasant change from unpacking the Gospel of Thomas - which is an interesting contrast to the orthodox Gospels. A Gospel with no cross, death or resurrection. In fact the whole focus is not upon Jesus at all, but rather on the inward search for the Kingdom of Heaven, which already exists within each of us and the world. It contains some interesting, and I imagine some more popular sayings for contemporary Western culture...

51 “His disciples asked him: When will the dead rest? When will the new world arrive? He replied: that which you are waiting for has come, but you don’t recognise it.”

67 “One who knows everything else but who does not know himself knows nothing.”

77b “Split wood, I am there. Lift up a rock, you will find me there.”

But ultimately it leaves me a little non-plussed. While I like the sense of seeking to understand yourself, hope for me doesn't rest in the attempt to return to a mythical past paradise. (Not to mention the outrageous misogynist endings!)

1 comment:

Digger said...

Yeah it does sound very kinda look deep within yourself and discover the truth, wouldn't be at all out of place in most of todays spirituality self-help books!