Sunday, November 20, 2005

Movies



Two separate nights, two different movies.

Friday night; helping out the youth group at West Epping by acting as a chauffeur to the Drive-In's! Haven't been there in about 20 years? Anyway, Jodie Foster in Flightplan was a slight let down. A good idea with plenty of twists - it seems like a rehash of things like fightclub, The Sixth Sense etc... Has she lost her daughter? kidnappers? terrorists? does her daughter really exist? Is Jodie Foster insane? An excellent first half of the movie posed lots of questions - but unfortunately the second half chose one option and did it poorly. For this Jodie Foster fan, it was not her best performance - although admittedly it had limited scope as an hysterical mother on a jumbo jet.

3 stars. (NB interesting to note the dig at Arab profiling by Americans when the tension was up)

Saturday Night; Tim Burton's Corpse Bride. Typical dark and fun Burton. Done with musical flair (a nod to Ray Charles) and a sort of Grimm Brothers Fairytale feel - German Aristicrats with murder most foul and true love across social classes. Funny, great music and visually appealing. If I had any qualms, it was that it was too short - perhaps resolved too neatly. But fun none the less.

3.75 stars

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi there you Aussi's,

I haven't logged onto this site for a while but thought I would and say, what you say, G'day. I am impressed to see you are still viewing many movies. My pals and I love the movies and saw Flight Plan a while ago now. I agree it was a bit disappointing for a Jodie Foster movie.

I wanted to add that Katherine (Holmes) maybe visiting over Christmas. If I see her I will say G'day from her Aussi fans.

Pru
Toledo, Ohio
USA

Anonymous said...

Corpse Bride was funny I thought. I do have a tendancy to anything with Johnny Depp in it.
What ever happened to that fiery chick who started all that movie controversy? I miss her. She was cool.

Chris