Saturday, August 26, 2006

solitude

I've been talking lately with my supervisor about making space for reflection and solitude. How, amidst the absolute chaos and manic caffeinated rush that is college life, do i maintain some sense of perspective upon life? What sort of spiritual discipline makes sense for someone who talks faith stuff everyday?


The discipline of not using words, and of taking space in solitude.

The plan is that at least every second Saturday, my discipline is to be somewhere before dawn - to wait for the dawn, to watch and to to use photography as a way of not thinking about it - just looking and feeling for it. Listening for God.

So today was the first test. Out to Whale Beach, which holds some significance for myself and a few of my friends, clamber around the rocks, a quick nod to some inquisitive fishermen - and see how this day would bring itself into Sydney.

(click on the photo to see the rest of the set at flickr)

I don't plan to write about it very much - but you might start to see a raft of dawn shots appearing here every week or two.

5 comments:

Ray said...

Outstanding pics Jono. I love the one you posted and the one that shows the pre-dawn lights on the other side (if that makes sense).

Andrew said...

thanks diamond, I know the other one you mean - and have to say I've been pleasantly surprised how it turned out.

Rossy said...

Fantastic work Jono, and what better way to start the day than at Whale Beach!

Rah said...

THAT is a fantastic plan Jono, and an equally fantastic picture.
If only my own camera wasn't in Mooloolaba I might take your inspiration and get up early too... :)

Anonymous said...

Mooloolaba shamoolabah, get up early anyway and photograph it with your minds eye, that's what the whole contemplation thing is about right?